Colombian Military Suspends Operations in Country’s Southwest
By Dialogo April 09, 2013
The Colombian Army has suspended operations in the country’s southwest, a military source told on April 6, in a move reports said was meant to allow Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) leader Pablo Catatumbo to exit the country to attend peace talks in Cuba.
“Yes, military operations have been suspended,” said one high-ranking military official, without providing details, other than to confirm that the interruption in fighting had been ordered by top government officials.
The Colombian government and the rebels are one week into a three-week break in their negotiations, although technical teams for both sides are continuing to hold talks.
Media reports said military operations have been interrupted from April 5 through
April 7, in a large area between the provinces of Valle and Cauca.
Press reports here said the disruption in military activities was ordered to allow rebel leader Catatumbo to join the peace talks in Cuba.
Catatumbo, whose real name is Jorge Torres Victoria, is one of seven members
of the FARC’s central command.
The government so far has not confirmed reports that hostilities have been suspended or that Catatumbo will be taking part in the negotiations.
I think that this article, although accurate when it comes to facts, lacks impact as the FARCs aren't a revolutionary force as expressed in the article, and the journalist should refer to them as a terrorist group, also at the end of the article it gives the impression that he is referring to a group that is making a sacrifice for the people...when what they do is kidnap people, murder good citizens, extort and traffic drugs...thank god there are only four things...and those who have lived this FARC infection know what I mean...thanks....we owe all the drug addicts and the delinquency in the world to this terrorist group...mister journalist, with all due respect I ask you to call them by their real name.