About 3,000 Colombian citizens took to the streets in an appeal for peace on February 7, protesting last week’s deadly bomb strike by suspected leftist rebels that killed six people and injured 30.
Protesters, including many children, made their way across Villa Rica, even as workers removed rubble from homes damaged when a police station was targeted in the February 2 attack.
The attack in the village located in Cauca department, came less than 24 hours after another bombing was unleashed in Tumaco, in the department of Nariño. In that incident, nine people were killed and 70 injured.
Authorities have blamed both bombings on the Marxist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
On February 7 the rebels denied they had launched a “terrorist campaign” but did not explicitly deny responsibility for the bombings.
The guerrilla group said in a statement posted on its website and signed by its secretariat that its attacks exclusively target the Colombian security forces.
“It is absolutely false that the FARC-EP have begun some kind of terrorist campaign,” it said. “Nothing is further from our convictions than indiscriminate actions against civilians.”