Colombian Leader Says FARC Move ‘Not Sufficient’

Colombia’s President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed a pledge by FARC rebels on February 26 to end civilian kidnappings and free 10 police and military hostages, but said the moves were “not sufficient.”
WRITER-ID | 28 February 2012

Colombia’s President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed a pledge by FARC rebels on February 26 to end civilian kidnappings and free 10 police and military hostages, but said the moves were “not sufficient.”

“We appreciate the announcement by the FARC that it is renouncing kidnapping as an important and necessary step in the right direction, but it is not sufficient,” the Colombian leader wrote on his Twitter account.

Santos added that his government was delighted for the hostages and their families and would do everything possible to ensure that there is no “media circus” surrounding their release.

Colombia’s largest left-wing rebel group vowed earlier to free 10 remaining police and military hostages — some of whom had been held for more than a decade — and to end once and for all its practice of kidnapping civilians.

Share:
Comment:
Like this Story? Yes 36
Loading Conversation