US Donates 3 Hospitals, 2 Mobile Operations Centers to Dominican Republic
By U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo May 07, 2021
On April 20, the U.S. government, through U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM), announced the donation of three mobile hospitals and two mobile operations centers, among other items, to boost the Dominican Republic government’s capability to quickly deploy personnel and medical equipment, and to care for those in need of emergency assistance during disaster response operations or health crises.
Valued at $5.1 million, the donations serve as an example of the cooperation between the United States and the Dominican Republic to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and be prepared for future crises.
Robert Thomas, Chargé d’Affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo, said, “We have been united to confront the pandemic, and we will remain united after COVID-19, because this is a relationship built on trust. I thank the COE [Emergency Operations Center, in Spanish] and the Ministry of Defense for giving us the opportunity to prove that again here today [April 20], and Adm. Faller for the efforts of his SOUTHCOM team, showing once again what kind of partner the United States is.”
U.S. Navy Admiral Craig S. Faller, SOUTHCOM commander, said that the United States and the Dominican Republic share the same values of justice and respect, adding, “This ceremony highlights the strong relationship between the United States and the Dominican Republic in the fight against COVID-19.”
Dominican Vice President Raquel Peña, also the Health Cabinet coordinator, received the donations on behalf of the Dominican government and declared: “Through U.S. Southern Command, the U.S. government, our nation’s historical ally, offers once again a helping hand in our mission to preserve the well-being of the Dominican people.”
Major General (ret.) Dr. Juan Manuel Méndez García, director of the COE, thanked the U.S. government for its collaboration and said, “This is a story of mutual support and collaboration that repeats itself, and today I have the honor to give thanks again, together with honorable Vice President of the Republic Raquel Peña, to SOUTHCOM, represented by Commander Faller, and to the U.S. government, on behalf of our president, his Excellency Luis Abinader. Thank you for donating these three field hospitals and these other two mobile coordination and communication centers.”
This is a story of mutual support and collaboration that repeats itself, and today I have the honor to give thanks again, together with honorable Vice President of the Republic Raquel Peña, to SOUTHCOM, represented by Commander Faller, and to the U.S. government, on behalf of our president, his Excellency Luis Abinader. Thank you for donating these three field hospitals and these other two mobile coordination and communication centers,” Major General (ret.) Dr. Juan Manuel Méndez García, director of the COE.
The donation is part of SOUTHCOM’s Humanitarian Assistance Program, and, together with the two mobile hospitals delivered in September 2020 — that included eight ventilators, personal protective equipment, and syringes to support the vaccination plan — its contributions to the country in the last year total more than $6 million.
At present, these mobile hospitals increase the country’s capabilities to receive and treat COVID-19 patients on site. In the absense of medical emergencies, authorities will use these hospitals to train medical personnel in disaster response, through medical civic action programs (MEDCAP) and/or disaster response exercises across the country.
Lieutenant General Carlos Luciano Díaz Morfa, Dominican minister of Defense, was also present at the ceremony.