School Ship Pueyrredon
By Dialogo April 01, 2011
The Argentine Coast Guard training ship Pueyrredon (built in 1897), pulled into port in New Orleans, Louisiana on October 7, 1941, with 515 officers and men aboard for a five-day goodwill visit on a training cruise. Acquired for £782,000 ($1.2 million) in 1898 from Italy, the 8,000-ton ship was purchased by Argentina to patrol the waters of the South Atlantic at a time when border disputes with Chile still prevailed.
The Pueyrredon made its first voyage as a “school ship” in 1918 under Commander D. Pedro Gully, with visits to Brazil, Puerto Rico, the United States, Mexico, Cuba, Panama, Venezuela, Barbados and Uruguay before returning to Buenos Aires. Pueyrredon was permanently classified a “school ship” in 1932 and used for an applied course at the Naval Military School until 1953.
The 1941 voyage included stops made in the 1918 trip as well as ports of call in Costa Rica, Colombia and Aruba. Between August 30 and December 14, 1941, the ship traversed 14,700 nautical miles.