Nicaragua seizes US$7 million at border crossing

By Dialogo
August 27, 2012



MANAGUA, Nicaragua – Nicaraguan police seized at least US$7 million from 18 individuals who tried to enter the country from Honduras claiming to be Mexican television workers, authorities said on Aug. 24.
Police Chief Aminta Granera said the group attempted to enter Nicaragua last week through the border crossing of Las Manos.
They were traveling in six minivans bearing the logo of Televisa, a privately-owned corporation, and claimed to be working for it.
According to Granera, the money was discovered in hiding places inside the vans during a border inspection.
Police currently are trying to determine whether “the suspects have ties to organized crime,” Granera said.
She said Televisa had informed Nicaraguan authorities through the Mexican Embassy that none of its television crews had been dispatched to Nicaragua at that time.

[AFP (Nicaragua), 26/08/2012; El Heraldo (Honduras), 24/08/2012]

Share