Guatemalan Minister Attributes Killing of 28 People to Mexican Cartel
By Dialogo May 17, 2011
In a television interview, Guatemalan Interior Minister Carlos Menocal attributed to the Mexican ‘Los Zetas’ cartel the killing of at least twenty-eight people on a rural property in the northern department of Petén, and he said that the victims were agricultural workers.
“It’s a detestable act that we believe was directed by ‘Los Zetas.’ The victims were day laborers from (the department of) Izabal who were working on the property for a period of three months,” Menocal told the television news program Noti 7.
Four investigative teams, as well as a unit of police special forces, were mobilized in the area of the killings in order to investigate the case and try to locate those responsible for the killings, which have provoked a strong reaction in the country, Menocal added.
Los Zetas, according to investigators, have begun to expand into other crimes as well, such as kidnapping, extortion from retailers, and stealing fuel.
In August, Los Zetas were alleged to be responsible for the massacre at a rural property in San Fernando of seventy-two migrants from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Ecuador, and Brazil, who had been on their way to the United States.