Colombia to Take Border Ruling with Nicaragua to OAS
By Dialogo November 27, 2012
The Colombian government will express their discontent to the Organization of American States (OAS) regarding the recent ruling made by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) about its borders with Nicaragua in the Caribbean, announced Foreign Affairs Minister Ángela Holguín, on November 25.
“We will send a letter to OAS Secretary General José Miguel Insulza, stating our discontent, the legal vacuum in the ruling, the omissions, and incongruence,” Holguín told El Tiempo newspaper of Bogotá.
The minister made the announcement after saying that a similar letter had been sent to the UN Secretary General, since the ICJ relies on that multilateral organization.
The ICJ resolved a dispute between Bogotá and Managua over the San Andrés archipelago, by determining that all isles, islets and keys belong to Colombia, while demarcating new maritime borders to extend Nicaragua’s sovereignty on the Caribbean Sea, in an unappealable decision.
Holguín said that Colombia’s dissatisfaction with the ruling is because of the “maritime demarcation.”
The serious legal error made by the Court was to cut the economic zone and the continental platform of the island of Providencia to the north and northeast, and of San Andrés to the south and southeast.” According to the Law of the Sea, these islands have the same rights as the littorals,” she claimed.
“The other error was to divide the Archipelago of San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina,” she added.
However, she insisted that Colombia “is respectful of international law” and that government officials have not said they “didn’t accept the ruling.”
On November 24, through his Twitter account, President Juan Manuel Santos asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to “contact the government of Nicaragua directly to manage this problem with prudence and respect”.