Colombia Says FARC Rebels Behind August Car Bomb
By Dialogo October 05, 2010Colombia’s president said on Saturday that the leftist FARC guerrillas were responsible for detonating a car bomb outside a radio station in Colombia’s capital that wounded nine people in August.
Colombia’s U.S.-backed security campaign against illegal armed groups has pushed back the FARC guerrillas to remote jungle hideouts, but the rebels still carry out attacks.
“It’s clear that the bomb placed outside Caracol (radio) was the FARC. Initially, there were doubts, it wasn’t completely established,” President Juan Manuel Santos said.
Santos said emails found on computers at the guerrilla camp where Colombian forces killed the FARC’s top military commander last month showed the insurgents were behind the bombing.
The military killed Mono Jojoy in a raid on his jungle hide-out, and Bogota said it had recovered rebel laptops and flash drives.
The August 12 blast was the first significant attack since Santos took over as president on August 7.
The president’s office quoted one of the emails found on the computers in which Jojoy criticized Venezuela’s leftist leader Hugo Chavez and Cuba.
“They are disrespectful, and at times they unite in the ideological fight of the enemy to combat us,” the email said.
Colombia has accused Venezuela of allowing FARC guerrillas safe haven on its soil although Chavez has called on the rebels to put down their arms.
Bombings and attacks on Colombian cities have dropped sharply since 2002, allowing foreign investment especially in mining and energy to rise five-fold.
But Colombian Defense Minister Rodrigo Rivera told Reuters in a recent interview that the offensive against the FARC may provoke an intensification of Latin America’s longest-running insurgency.
Santos has vowed to continue a hardline stance against rebels, drug lords and militias.