Bombings in Northern Colombia Leave 13 Rebels Dead
By Dialogo January 03, 2013
At least 13 FARC guerrillas were killed in an attack that took place in the
Colombian department of Antioquia (northwest) on December 31, President Juan Manuel
Santos said in a message on Twitter.
“Thirteen guerrillas have been killed so far in an operation against the
FARC’s 5th Front in Chigorodó (Antioquia),” Santos specified when he acknowledged
the event on December 31.
Meanwhile, General Hugo Acosta, operational commander of the Colombian Air
Force, did not dismiss the possibility that the number of dead might increase
because there were between 15 and 20 men at the bombed camp.
“This action was aimed against several leaders on this front, including Maria
Elda Ramírez, alias “Mayerly”, whose fate in the attack is still unknown, since the
bodies of the dead insurgents have not yet been identified,” Acosta told the
The Revolutionary Armed Force of Colombia (FARC), the largest and oldest
guerrilla group in the Andean country, has been participating in peace talks with
Santos’s government since November 19 in Havana.
The rebel group declared a unilateral truce in their offensive and sabotage
actions until January 20, but the Army has not ceased their offensive against the
Negotiations are suspended until January 14 due to New Year